Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Years Resolutions

Things I want to work towards.
- lots more friends, some friends I can ring and say, hey, do you want to go to the pub tonight!! (hence no. 2 below)

- loose weight, my medication made me put on a stone so I am going to have another attempt at shifting it!

- be happier

Steps I am starting with

1. Start going to the gym again, (2 or 3 times a weeks) I managed this reasonably well until my car troubles. My car is now fixed so no excuses!

2. Invite people round for coffee and even proper dinner parties. I did one with my friends and parents last week and I have invited someone from work for coffee. This is a huge thing for me but an important step I think.

3. Try to be more organised with housework. I made laods of lists and planned what days to do each on, it has gone pear shaped today as I has Mc Donalds and now I am in the internet cafe. I put clean the bathrooms today so it is not all lost, I can do that in 15mins as I did the ensuite on Monday!! Health eating has gone out the window today, I must make sure I have a few ready meals next week!

4. To help with no. 3 I have put daylight bulbs in my bedroom and in one bathroom. I have also ordered a daylight lamp for my desk at work. So far this has given me more energy in the evenings so I am going to buy more bulbs for the hall way and living room. I only seen to be able to get old fashioned type bulbs at the moment, no hallogen bulbs and no energy saving bulbs - does anyone know if anyone makes them?

Just a quick footnote: A friend has taken my laptop away to have a look at it, if he can fix it I might get it back next week. I am really really missing it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are nice resolutions- what are daylight bulbs?

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with your resolutions, Annie. I made some too that I'm trying hard to stick to. It's all about forming habits. They say that it takes 21 days of repetition in order to form a new habit. I take that to mean that, after three weeks of doing something regularly, like exercising for instance, you get to a point where that 'thing' becomes a higher priority in your day-to-day life.

Today I did a 45 minute workout with weights. Followed that with a lovely dinner of spinach salad and roasted salmon. And then this evening did another 20 minutes on the treadmill. Feels great and very rewarding to be keeping my commitments to myself. I also cut out coffee altogether during the week and replaced it with green tea. That was a real toughy for me. Now I don't even think about it.

Years ago I used to love McDonald and crave Big Macs. I'd cave in and get a Happy Meal at least three times a month. Then one day I made a resolution to stop. It was terribly difficult to begin with, but in time I stopped thinking about it or craving it. Nowadays, I'm lucky if I get McDonalds once a year. And I meet my Dad for coffee at the Mall at least twice weekly where there's a McD's in the food court. Doesn't bother me at all.

My point in mentioning all this is to encourage you. You can do it. Just keep reminding yourself it takes time.

Take care and I'll be rooting for you!

Dave