Friday, May 05, 2006

Psychiatric Illness in the Media

On the way home from work today I heard a report about a man from Hull who stabbed a woman he passed on the street and killed her. She was seven months pregnant with twins. You could be forgiven in thinking the death penalty is the only punishment for this man. My best friend is eight and a half months pregnant and right now I would give my life for hers and the baby's she carries so please do not think that I do not feel for the victims family, I DO!!! However there was another victim in this crime, one with no sympathy from the media and one who has had his life taken away too.

I do not know the details as I don't know the victim. He may well have been pursued he may have been hunted down by people who wanted to kill him, torture him or worse do it those he loves. These people who are pursuing him should be locked up in a Secure Psychiatric Hospital. The problem is nobody believe him. He can not go to the police as they will not believe him they may even be involved in the conspiracy. He may well have taken the situation into his own hands and in an act of self defense stabbed an evil person.

This victim has had no sympathy, he infact has been locked up by the authorities who are there to protect us. He has a devastating illness, he has Schizophrenia.

I don't pretend to have any answers to what should be done but what I do object to is the headlines on the radio, - Psychiatric Patient Stabbs Pregnant Women he passes in the street! This bad reporting creates fear about psychiatric patients and adds to an already hostile community for patients who suffer severe illness and often in silence due to an already frightened and ignorant public who are prejudice towards them.

BBC link to Story - It is a lot better than commercial radio!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4976298.stm

1 comment:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.